3/13/11

Isaiah 40:11

Here is a verse that has been so precious to me especially over the last three or four years. It's from the Book of Isaiah.

Isaiah 40:11
"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart, he gently leads those that have young."

Are you someone who has young? Are you someone who needs to be lead? How about just needing to be gathered in God's arms and held close to His chest?

If you are like me you are saying "Yes, yes and Amen." It is no secret that when you have a child you need someone to guide you. It's not just the big stuff, although that is important. It seems to be the little stuff. We all know we need to teach our children not to lie, steal or murder. As christian it goes deeper like harboring anger, unforgiving, omitting things and the like. However there are little things like opening doors for people. Speaking with a kindness. Having patience with other people (especially your younger siblings) that we should be focusing on.

Even with all that said we need someone to guide us when dealing with our children's hearts. I have three sons with three different personalities. I rely on Christ daily to show me to reach them. I have one boy who is cautious of sharing things. He seems to think that his opinion doesn't matter. He bottles things in and becomes emotional over everything. My other boy is always fine. Nothing bothers him, everything is cool. However he becomes sullen and withdrawn. Then there is my other guy. He lashes out at everyone for anything. Always on the attack, not wanting to compromise or hear someone's side. I find myself, when not relying on Christ's wisdom, always treating symptoms never the cause.

As parents we have to always be looking for the root, the heart of our children. It's O.K. to give your child some space but don't let distance come between you and them. Seek God, He will lead you. He will give you wisdom. God created those little ones, perfectly and without flaw.

The other meaning I receive from that verse is that I can fall into His arms when I am tired and overwhelmed. He guides me, leads me on how to raise my children. He comforts me. He is my Shepherd. A shepherd knows his flock. He tends to their daily needs. The shepherd protects his flock. A shepherd watches over, looking out for dangers. Just like our Lord.

Are you resting in the arms of your Shepherd? I am and there is no great place to be.

No comments: